Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - Favorite Broadway Musicals


Thirteen Things about Chloe Devlin
Favorite Broadway Musicals



1.... Beauty and the Beast -- my absolute favorite. I saw it twice on Broadway -- in 1994 when it opened and in 2007 when it closed. Plus at least three times in Los Angeles. My favorite Beast was Terrence Mann, followed closely by James Barbour.

2.... Wicked -- another absolute winner. The songs were great, the story fantastic, plus it was romantic.

3.... Les Miserables -- a beautiful story, along with great songs.

4.... Phantom of the Opera -- an amazing spectacle combined with heart-wrenching emotions and soaring songs.

5.... Cats -- such an innovative idea, it captivated me when I saw it.

6.... Man of La Mancha -- this musical can either be good or not so good, depending on Don Quixote. But if you see a good Don Quixote, it can be spectacular!

7.... Guys and Dolls -- good old-fashioned musical with catchy songs.

8.... A Chorus Line -- another innovative musical. The stark set captures the imagination along with the memorable songs.

9.... Victor/Victoria -- it's rare that a movie can make the jump to Broadway (other becoming less rare). But this one does so admirably, keeping the wonderful show numbers while adding to the story.

10....Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -- how romantic is it that there are seven hunky brothers, all of whom can sing and dance, that find their true loves one longer winter.

11.... The King and I -- truly a story of forbidden love, between the King and Anna. If only they lived in different times... I always cry during the movie when I see Yul Brynner's hand go limp. I wish I could've seen him in person in this role.

12.... The Sound of Music -- While I could watch the movie over and over, the stage musical has a tad less sweetness and bit more tart to it. When my cousin Charlie was very young, his mother didn't want him to see "scary parts" of the movie, so she always turned it off right after the wedding. Then, in high school, he got the part of Rolf in the school musical. He figured it was great -- he got to ride a bike, had a sweet song and was done. Until the teacher told him he was in the end of the second act as well, that he was a Nazi. He didn't believe her until his mother confessed that she had always turned the movie off early. So until he was nearly 16 years old, he never knew about the entire ending of the movie.

13.... Camelot -- Actually, this is another stage musical that my cousin Charlie was in -- as King Arthur. And for me, he remains the definitive Arthur, despite having seen a couple of others. Of course, I never saw Richard Burton on stage, so that might've changed my mind.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



12 comments:

Paige Tyler said...

We saw Beauty and the Beast and absolutely loved it!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Kaige said...

Noooo! Now I'm gonna have show tunes stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Love 7 Brides, some fun songs there. Great list!

Happy TT!
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

Chloe Devlin said...

Paige, when you see it with a Beast who's got a phenomenal voice, hearing him sing If I Can't Love Her sends shivers up and down my spine.

Kaige, there are far worse songs to be stuck in your head. Enjoy them!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, I LOVE Broadway musicals, too!

Haven't seen Beauty and the Beast or Wicked. I'd loved to, though.

Shelley Munro said...

The only one I've seen is Cats. We don't get that many shows down this way.

Heather said...

Oh, you've seen some great musicals - a lot of them ones I'd like to see. The only two I've seen on a professional stage are Movin' Out (loved it!), Rent (was good, but definitely not a fave) and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (awesome, even if Donny Osmond did have that week off). And on HS or college stages I've only seen Camelot, West Side Story, and Little Shop of Horrors.

Debbie Mumford said...

Camelot. Lots of good memories there. Sigh.

Gwen Mitchell said...

Great list!

*sings*

A law was made a distant moon ago here...

Chloe Devlin said...

Heather, I never did get to see Movin' Out and I really wanted to because I'm a huge Billy Joel fan.

Kathleen Oxley said...

Great list! I could watch Sound of Music over and over again, all the way through even.

Anonymous said...

You've seen all of these? The closest I get to Broadway is the High School musical.

Chloe Devlin said...

Alice, I've seen all of them on stage in one form or another. Most of them I've seen on Broadway, but there are a few that I've only seen as high school productions. But those can be equally as fun!