Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tribute to George Carlin and the Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say on Television

Comedian George Carlin died this past weekend. Listening to his "Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say on Television" routine was a defining moment for me. It gave me the knowledge that while there were words you didn't usually say in public, especially in polite company, you weren't going to hell if you did use them. But his routine also taught me the importance of understanding the words you were using.

By learning how to use words properly, it becomes easier to remove the stigma from them and embrace them back into our lives. I don't use those seven dirty words on a daily basis. Most of them I have no reason to use. But I know the words, their meanings as well as double meanings, so that when it's appropriate, I can use the proper word – both in spoken language and in my writing.

After I heard his "Seven Dirty Words" routine, I made it a mission to memorize those words in their correct order from his monologue. I was in junior high – at a time when kids are learning vocabulary from their peers, as well as their parents and teachers. And it was something of a novelty that this sweet girl could rattle off those seven words. Including the next couple of lines from his routine.

But I also feel that by learning those words, I didn't desensitize myself to them. Rather, I became more sensitive to nuances in language, wanting to use the exact right word – no matter if it was considered too dirty to say on television or not. And that sensitivity to nuances probably contributed to my having a vocabulary a bit above my grade level. Friends were always asking me what I was saying because they didn't always understand the words I was using.

So I would rephrase, using a slightly less accurate word, but one that was easier for them to understand. And I knew, deep in my heart, that my vocabulary was something to be proud of, to use to the fullest extent. And ultimately that meant using George Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say on Television."

So, George, here's to you! Thanks for the vocab lesson!

So all together now -- Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits. And tits shouldn't even be there!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP, George. You'll be greatly missed.

Mia said...

They replayed his Actor's Studio vsit last night. He was an original and wonderful comic. So, funny. Sigh. He will be missed and Julie, remind me to teach you the cursing song next time I see you.

Maria S.

Chloe Devlin said...

Definitely, Maria. I'd love to learn it. If only to teach it to my nieces. (wicked grin)

Kate Willoughby said...

I memorized these, too, when I was younger, but just for the personal satisfaction of being able to rattle them off. ;) Carlin is a comedy icon who will be remembered fondly.

Anonymous said...

Why is piss in there?