Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Places to Write

Different writers choose difference places to write: places that fuel our creativity, places that inspire us to more perfect prose, even places that keep us going when all we want to do is take a nap. Let's talk about some of those places.

1) Restaurants – such as Dennys, Carrows, Coco's, Baker's Square or any other coffeeshop. I learned about coffeeshops in college. My friend, Lisa, dragged me to the HoJo's in Bloomington, IN. You had to get there early if you wanted to get a booth – the most coveted tables. Then, you could spread out your books and papers and study to your heart's content. Coffee, iced tea or soda – whatever your preference was brought to you; refills were generally free. And if you got the munchies, there was an entire menu to choose from. Nowadays, you can even have an iPod with headphones to tune out all the noise.

2) Libraries – If you need the utmost quiet, but don't wish to write at home, your local library branch is great. Most have tables and chairs if you need them, or more comfortable armchairs if you prefer. They usually have outlets for laptops and most have in-house computers with internet access so you can reward yourself with checking email if you meet your writing goals. Besides, you have research resources at your fingertips.

3) Coffee & Tea Shops – i.e. Starbucks, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. These places were created for writers. Or so I like to believe. They encourage writers. Why else would they create concoctions as delicious as frappaccinos and iced blended drinks, while still catering to the caffeine-addicted crowd? And they're everywhere. You don't have to travel far to find one.

4) Offices – If you work in an office for a day job, you can arrive a bit early and leave a bit late and use that time for writing. This gives you the opportunity to treat your writing like a job, setting schedules and writing on a regular basis. If you don't have a day job, another option is to find a small full-service office space. Sometimes you can find them relatively inexpensively. And then you can create your own writing office that doesn't double as your guest room and all-purpose storage room.

5) The Great Outdoors – this is such a broad category. It partly depends on where you live and what sort of Great Outdoors places you have. Some of my best and most beautiful writing came outdoors. My favorite outdoors writing experience came at the Grand Canyon. It was a beautiful day, sunny with a few clouds floating by. There was something magical and mystical, sitting on a log bench at the edge of the Grand Canyon, looking out at the wonders of Mother Nature. I watched the shadows on the canyon walls as the clouds moved across the sky and the wonder in people's faces as they looked out across this great gorge. And the words just flowed. Now you don't have to visit the Grand Canyon every time you need a Great Outdoors fix. Look around, check out local parks. Go to the beach at sunset (or sunrise). Simply go out in your own backyard. You can find nature's beauty anywhere.

These were just a few ideas of places to write. What are some others? Where do you like to go to create your work?

3 comments:

Kathleen Oxley said...

My favorite place to write is in my leather recliner in our living room. There's no tv, no music. (I'm easily distracted, so I can't write with other people around or lots of noise.) Just me in my chair, lappy in my lap. Love it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm usually found at my computer right in the kitchen, with three kids I kinda need to be in the center of all the activity. I do love to take my pad outside, but rarely write in public places because I'm such a people-watcher, I don't get much writing done :)

Dana Belfry said...

I agree with almost all of this. Except the great outdoors. Bugs. Flies. Reality. *shudder*

Point me to Starbucks, I'll be just fine. *grin*