Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - 13 Great Movies



Thirteen Things about Chloe Devlin

13 Great Movies

(In My Humble Opinion)


1.... Apollo 13 -- Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinese, a true story and one of the greatest lines ever -- "Houston, we have a problem."

2... Saving Private Ryan -- another Tom Hanks winner. It's tough to watch at times, but definitely a winner.

3... The American President/A Few Good Men -- two Aaron Sorkin masterpieces. His dialogue is brilliant and he writes great speeches to showcase wonderful actors. I love "My name is Andrew Shepherd, and I am the President" from TAP and of course, "You can't handle the truth!" from AFGM.

4... Indiana Jones (all three movies) -- love watching Harrison Ford's combination of athleticism and pure witty banter.

5... The Godfather (parts I & II) -- I don't think Part III belongs with the other two. Parts I & II were brilliant masterpieces of storytelling and filmmaking, combined with great performances.

6... Casablanca -- everything about this film is brilliant, from the casting to the dialogue. So many wonderful lines.

7... Gone with the Wind -- for the sheer enormity of the film. It's so larger than life, including the casting. And because Clark Gable was a definitive Rhett Butler.

8... Schindler's List -- an amazingly emotional film, a true story, yet the only time I cried was at the end when they showed a long line of survivors and families from Schindler's List putting stones on his gravestone.

9... It's A Wonderful Life - wouldn't any of us like to know what things would be like if we weren't born? Jimmy Stewart captures that feeling so well.

10... Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- besides having Paul Newman and Robert Redford, the screenplay for this movie was brilliant, depicting their friendship so well.

11. Field of Dreams -- besides starring Kevin Costner and being a wonderful baseball movie with great quotes ("If you build it, he will come"), it also has things to say about believing in yourself and father/son relationships.

12... Star Wars -- all of them, but mostly Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi. Along with the Indiana Jones movies, Star Wars changed how we think about movies and storytelling.

13... The Sound of Music -- I love movie musicals, but especially this one. Not only based on a true story, it has memorable songs, a romance and an uplifting ending.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


14 comments:

Kaige said...

Great list of classics, Chloe! I'll admit I haven't seen a couple of them yet, but wow, imagine a two week stretch of nothing but those films. wow. Happy TT!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh yeah. Those are GREAT!

Anonymous said...

I think we were separated at birth - I love every one of those movies! :)

R.G. ALEXANDER said...

Great Movies!! It's a Wonderful Life is one of my faves. Actually-I didnt see one on your list I didnt love.

Bethanne said...

oh yes. very good. I agree with everyone here. :D thanks for visiting my blog.

Dana Belfry said...

I love them all. Well, most of them. I've never seen Casablanca.

Chloe? Are you still with me? Don't cry!

Unknown said...

A great list. Just got Sweeny Todd in the mail. Can't wait to watch it. Happy T13!

Chloe Devlin said...

Kaige, that would be a great two-week vacation. Just have Netflix keep delivering movies to your door.

Dana, I'm going to have to sit you down and make you watch Casablance. My favorite story about the movie is that they were linearly writing it as they were filming. So no one had any idea what the ending was going to be until they shot it.

Chloe

Kathleen Oxley said...

Great list!! I especially agree about the Indiana Jones movies and Sound of Music! Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic list! I love everything on it.

Anonymous said...

What a great list, Chloe! I might have to watch some of them again soon. Thanks for checking out my blog today! :)

Robin L. Rotham said...

Wow, I've actually seen most of those! Apollo 13 and The Sound of Music are probably my faves.

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Awesome list. You've reminded me of some really great movies. And since we're going to have a rainy weekend, I think I'll get the popcorn popper ready for a big Classic-a-thon. Thanks!

Heather said...

Ya know...I don't think I can argue with any of those. Definitely a great selection of films!